Kochi  : +91 4844862577

Kochi  : +91 4844862577

Canada Study Permit

Studying in Canada offers a great opportunity for anyone wanting a world-class education with the added opportunity to work and live on in Canada. Whether you choose to work on campus at the university or off-campus as an intern, international students can earn money while gaining valuable work experience. A study permit counts as a non-resident visa, which means that:

  • You should remain enrolled at the designated learning institution;
  • You may extend your Visa according to your study requirements; and
  • You must respect the conditions listed on your study permit

Which Documents are required for student visa ?

  • Valid Passport.
  • Proof of Acceptance by a Designated Learning Institution.
  • Proof of Funds.
  • Passport Size Photographs.
  • Immigration Medical Examination (IME).
  • English Language Proficiency Exam Score.
  • Statement of Purpose.
  • Credit Card.

Your responsibilities while studying in Canada:

  • Make progress towards completing your program
  • Respect any conditions listed on your study permit
  • Stop studying if you no longer meet the requirements and
  • Leave Canada when your permit expires
  • Depending on your case, there may be conditions on your study permit such as:
    • If you’re allowed to work in Canada
    • If you’re allowed to travel within Canada
    • The date you must stop studying

Working in Canada as a student

Most post-secondary students can work on or off campus during their studies without a work permit. To do this, you need to meet all the requirements and check the conditions on your study permit.

  • Working on campus :- You can only start working in Canada when you start your study program. You can’t work before your studies begin.
  • Working off campus :- You and your employer must make sure you can work off campus without a work permit before you start working.
  • Working as a co-op student or intern:- Some study programs include work experience as part of their curriculum. You can apply for a co-op or intern work permit if:
    • You have a valid study permit
    • Work is required to complete your study program in canada
    • You have a letter from your institute that confirms all students in your program need to complete work placements to get their degree, and
    • Your co-op placement or internship totals 50% or less of your study program

Helping your spouse or common-law partner work in Canada

Your spouse or common-law partner may be eligible for an open work permit if you:

  • Have a valid study permit and
  • Are a full-time student at one of these types of schools:
  • A public post-secondary school, such as a college or university, or CEGEP in Quebec
  • A private college-level school in Quebec
  • A Canadian private school that can legally award degrees under provinciallaw (for example, bachelors, masters or doctorate degree)

The spouse or partner can apply for a work permit before or after they arrive in Canada. The work permit will usually be issued for the same length of time as your study permit. Your spouse or partner does not need a job offer to apply for a work permit.

In some cases, Canadian visa offices abroad will process spouse's or partner's work permit applications at the same time as study permit applications. In this case, you will need to include the additional fee for the work permit and complete the work permit application for your spouse or partner, which is available on the consulate's website.

Most spouses and partners come to Canada as visitors first and apply for a work permit after they are in Canada. If your spouse or partner does not require a temporary resident visa, they may be able to apply for a work permit at the border or airport where they enter Canada.

Staying in Canada after graduation

To work in Canada after you graduate, you need a work permit. The work experience you gain while working may help you qualify for permanent residence.

Health care

The government of Canada does not pay for the medical costs of international students. Health coverage for international students is different, depending on where you live. Prospective international students, as well as new arrivals in Canada who remain uncertain, are encouraged to contact the institution they are applying to / have applied to / are attending for more information about health insurance.

Talk to

Book a consultation today and
get your Canada Visa.
Providing Specialist Migration Advice and Assistance

Free Immigration Evaluation

Work Permits Available

Our Office Locations and Address



Greenlight Immigration Services,
5E,5th Floor, Oxford Business Centre,
Sreekandath Road, Ravipuram,
Pin: 682015 Kochi, Kerala

+91 4844862577

Greenlight Emailinfo@glmigration.com

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact us
© 2024 Greenlight. All Rights Reserved

Designed and Developed by Websoul Techserve